We are a local and family owned food processing business with 30 years’ experience dealing in fresh cut and value added meat products, fresh soups, sauces and prepared meals.
First Company in Australia to Produce Case Ready Meat
January 02, 1986
David Beak founded Beak & Johnston in 1986 bringing four generations worth of knowledge in the meat industry to Australia from all over the world.
Bringing New Innovation to Market
September 03, 1990
We were the first company in Australia to launch the slow cooked ribs and roasts for retail and commercial sale.
Mr Beak's Brand Expands into New Retail Categories
October 01, 1995
Beak and Johnston launches Mr Beak's ribs, rissoles, meatballs and schnitzels into the Australian retail market.
Mr Beak's Brand Continues Exansion into New Product Categories
February 07, 2000
Beak and Johnston developed flattened lamb and beef roasts within the Mr Beaks brand. This was a first to market innovation in Australia.
Beak and Johnston becomes the first company in Australia to launch fresh retail soups under the Mr Beaks brand.
The Burger Evolves
May 06, 2002
Beak and Johnston launch the first Aussie burger. This was the first value added burger available in the meat case throughout Australia.
Leading the Way in Distribution Innovation
January 01, 2005
Through the implementation of the ACCUSORT system, Beak and Johnston has become a leading manufacturer in Australia with the capability of direct to store distribution.
The Journey With a La Carte Meats Begins
September 18, 2006
Beak and Johnston purchased 50% of A La Carte Meats located in Morningside, Brisbane.
This partnership has provided the company greater reach within the industry, particularly in the export market.
The Sausage is Re-born
February 01, 2010
Beak and Johnston launches a new range of high quality, retail sausages under the Mr Beak's brand.
Expansion into Organic Meats
October 04, 2010
Beak and Johnston purchases 50% of Cleavers Organic Meat Company. This in turn expanded our reach throughout the Australian market.
Mr Beak's Ute Hits the Road
December 31, 2010
Mr Beaks Ute was purchased with a specifically fitted BBQ! Making an appearance at many local BBQ events in and around the community.
Beak and Johnston Acquires Commissary Food Company
January 31, 2011
The Commissary Food Company relocated from Matraville in Sydney to merge completely into Beak & Johnston located in Greenacre Sydney.
Beak and Johnston Acquires Pitango Organic Soups
March 04, 2013
Beak and Johnston acquires Pitango Organic Soups business and relocated across the water to Manukau, Auckland, New Zealand.
Brand New Site Unveiled - City Kitchen
June 08, 2015
Beak and Johnston developed and commissioned a new site in Arndell Park, with the new name City Kitchen. This site is dedicated to producing fresh, ready meals.
Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co
August 03, 2015
Beak & Johnston increased the shareholdings with Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co to 50% shares
The Official Opening of City Kitchen
February 09, 2017
On Thursday, 9th February Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci Officially Opened City Kitchen. This is a great outcome for solidifying the partnership between Woolworths and Beak & Johnston. It also invigorates the support for ready meals and opens new opportunities for future products.
B&J and Woolworths Partnership
December 04, 2017
B&J and Woolworths formally became partners of B&J City Kitchen PTY in December 2017. This partnership has been built on a 30 year relationship where we worked with Woolworths on building their meat and convenience categories. Both businesses see this as a exciting opportunity in meeting consumers needs and maintaining market leadership on convenient, nutritious and healthy food!
- 4th generation meat industry management in Europe, South America and Australia. Founder of Beak and Johnston 28 years ago.
- Passionate leader of innovation through collaboration.
- 17 years leadership across convenience and meat sector in UK.
- Passionate about delivering excellence through people.
- 20+ years of experience within FMCG in UK and Australia, achieving step change improvements in performance through development and delivery of commercially competitive strategies
- 20+ years experience in FMCG and retail meat processing and value-adding.
- Passionate about innovation for new ideas that deliver competitive advantage.
- Capability development in retail case-ready and Aerospace.
- Integrity, honesty, creativity – supporting others to succeed.
- Management consultancy growing strategy into business capability.
- 8 years FMCG (Australia & New Zealand – revenue and growth development.
- 13 years UK technical management experience within chilled high risk prepared meals & dips
- Driven to achieve manufacturing excellence through Technical leadership and Operational deliverance
- 24 years experience across chilled, frozen, ambient and non-food industries in Australia, New Zealand, UK and South Africa
- Passionate about helping people and teams reach their highest potential